This is going to be a lengthy post with Jess being the one talking instead of Mini. The second half (Part 2) is written by Amanda talking about Barbarella’s posts.
Wow! It’s already been one whole year since we started our blog back in January 2015. Maybe some day we will even review dog related items like many other bloggers do, but right now we are happy just sharing what we know and pictures of our cute dachshunds. In this post we are going to review how our first year of blogging was.
When we first started The Minidatsun Blog:
- Our sidebar only had a few widgets: search, archives, categories and a doxie’s favorite things to do. Now, we have many other widgets in addition to those.
- All of the dogs info was originally crammed onto one “about” page. Now, Mini and Barbarella now have their own “about” pages with a list of their tricks and their favorite things.
- At first our pictures weren’t of the best quality. Now, they are clearer and posted bigger to make them easier to see.
- At first our background was solid blue. Now, we change the background on the first day of a new season. We have a different background for each season: Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. You can only see the seasonal backgrounds on a computer; our mobile version of the blog does not show it.
Big things that happened in 2015:
- Shortly after creating The Minidatsun Blog, Mini & Barbarella had pups in February. It was fun helping Mini post about being a Mama Dog.
- We started Cutie Monday in April. Every Monday at 8:00 am we post a cute or funny picture. One week Mini will post and the next Barbarella.
- We started That Time:. The posts starting out with the title “That Time:” are posts about things that happened before we started our blog, or that happened a while back and we never got around to posting it.
- We celebrated having Mini and Barbarella with us on our ranch/farm for 1 whole year in the post 1 Year, Here on The Ranch!
- On June 28th Mini turned four years old and had the best birthday ever. I had her cake planned and the place picked out to have her birthday party long before her birthday and couldn’t wait till it got here. The little table we put her cake and presents on I made especially for her birthday.
- We went to Tractor Supply’s annual PAW (Pet Appreciation Week) celebration. We started taking the dogs to TSC for PAW in 2014 and we plan to go every year we can. This is also the first post with the dogs out in public.
- Mini and I won a giveaway on Ammo the Dachshunds blog for a 25lb bag of Brothers Complete dog food and three bags of treats.
- Mini and Barbarella learned to leg weave. Here you can see a video of them the first day they started training.
- We started a post called Past Month Pics to share random photos that had no place in a post of their own.
- Mini and Barbarella got to go to San Antonio, TX for the first time on October 20th.
- The dogs had the best Christmas ever and got a ton of presents. We still have yet to post about our Christmas, with all the things that have been going on we forgot to create a post about it.
- The last thing that happened in 2015 was that one of Mini’s teeth got infected right before Christmas and we thought it was going to have to be pulled, but it turned out that she got to keep it!
The first big thing that we are adding to our blog this year is a new page called “We’ve Tried”; it shows all the treats we have tried out and what we think of them.
Lets look back on some of my favorite posts.
- Mini’s first post was “Goodie Bag” and I am very happy how Mini’s first post turned out. There isn’t much writing in it and the pictures aren’t of the best quality, but the dogs love it when we come home with a goodie bag so I just had to share it.
- It was fun creating the post “That Time: It Flooded“. It shows Mini’s ability to be off leash, like she is most of the time. 2015 was the first year in a long time that we actually got spring rain and man did rain a lot; it’s nice to have that recorded on this blog.
- “More Treats For Learning” Features Mini’s favorite crunchy treats we buy from HEB. This post has some humor in it and the pictures were taken in my favorite place in our pasture to take pictures; it’s also the area where we celebrated Mini’s 4th birthday. In this post I started to teach Mini to sit when I tell her to where every she is and now she will, unless the ground is wet or cold. :)
- “Soggy Doggies” When the dogs are wet and or muddy we call them soggy doggies. Since it rained so much this year they were becoming soggy doggies a lot, so Mini and I made a post about it. It shows how much Mini doesn’t mind wading through water and there’s a short clip of the first turtle they met and how much they like barking at them.
- In the post “Trimming Black Nails“. I’m glad I got to share how I trim Mini’s black nails without hitting the quick.
- “1 Year, Here on The Ranch!” Was the first post to have both Mini and Barbarella talking in it together.
- “4th of July Photo Shoot” Shows how many pictures we take just to get one. A lot of the time the outtakes are funny and these were, every time I look at this post I laugh at at-least one of the pictures.
- “That Time: With a Giant Worm” Is a funny post and shows how tolerant Mini is of things and how good she listens to me.
- “Today Was Fun” Is a different kind of post, it’s just something short but entertaining. And yet again Mini brags about her not having a leash on the whole time in this post.
- “Tractor Supply’s annual PAW” (Pet Appreciation Week) celebration was really fun. The first year we went was in 2014, we didn’t have this blog then and we didn’t take any pictures of the dogs in the store, so this year we made sure to get some good pictures so we could post about it.
- “Happy Howloweenie” We finally got some use out of the hot dog costumes we have.
- I really enjoy creating pictures like the ones in our “Merry Christmas!” post. One of the reasons we started this blog was so we could share the pictures we make; like the ones in this Merry Christmas post. We usually create a picture like those for every holiday.
Being that it was our first year of blogging ever, I’d say we did quite well. We posted a total of 142 posts in the year of 2015. We look forward to our second year of blogging and hope it will be even better than the last!